Hill Crabb Attorneys Photo
Hill Crabb Law Firm

Your Guides To The Next Chapter Of Life

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Order Modifications

Order Modifications

Agreements reached by couples and orders issued by courts are not intended to work forever. Unexpected life changes and changes that occur naturally over time can make agreements impractical or unworkable, making it appropriate to revisit the issues and seek modification.

When there has been a significant change of circumstances, child support, child custody, parenting time or spousal maintenance may be modified. To help ensure your rights are protected and your situation accurately explained, it’s important to work with an experienced lawyer.

At the Twin Cities law office of Hill Crabb, LLC, we work with individuals throughout Minnesota to help ensure their financial obligations reflect their current situations.

Child Support Modifications

A modification of child support requires showing that the terms of the original order are unreasonable and unfair because of one or more of the following factors:

  • Substantially increased or decreased income of either party
  • Substantially increased or decreased need of either party
  • Receipt of public assistance
  • A change in the cost of living for either party
  • Extraordinary medical expenses of the minor child
  • A change in the availability of appropriate health care coverage
  • The addition or elimination of education or work-related child care expenses
  • The emancipation of a minor child

Child Custody Modification

A modification of custody requires showing that there has been a significant change in circumstances since the time of the original order. Parents must also show that the change in circumstances currently endangers the child’s physical, emotional or developmental health, and that the benefits of a change in custody outweigh the detriment of changing custody.

Spousal Support Modification

Spousal support may be modified if one party is able to show that the existing arrangement is unreasonable or unfair by showing:

  • Substantial increase or decrease of income of either party
  • Substantial increase or decrease in need of either party
  • Receipt of public assistance
  • A change in the cost of living of either party

If you are seeking a modification of your existing orders, it’s critical to continue paying your current obligations until a new order is issued. Learn more about your rights and obligations by scheduling a consultation. Our lawyers and staff can be reached through an online contact form or by calling 612-568-5967.