Child Custody Attorney
Parenting time, also known as visitation, refers to the schedule outlining the time each parent spends with the children.
Whether you are interested in establishing custody and parenting time or have questions about modifying an existing custody and parenting time order, it’s important to work with experienced child custody attorneys. Hill Crabb, LLC, works with parents in Edina and throughout Minnesota to handle all child custody and parenting time-related issues, including:
- Establishment of physical and legal custody and parenting time
- Modification of custody and parenting time orders
- Interstate child custody
- Relocation of children out of state
- Holiday and vacation schedules
Understanding How Custody Is Determined
Although custody and parenting time are related, they are independent of one another. For example, one parent can have sole legal and physical custody, but both parents could share 50/50 equal parenting time. Conversely, parents could share joint physical and legal custody and have an unequal parenting time schedule.
In Minnesota, both custody and parenting time are determined by analyzing the facts of each case against the best interest factors laid out in Minnesota Statute. Some of the issues that are considered in that determination include:
- The reasonable preferences of the child
- The history and nature of each parent’s participation in providing care for the child
- The intimacy of the relationship between each parent and the child
- The willingness and ability of parents to cooperate in raising the child
- The mental and physical health of the parents